Unleashing creativity at work comes naturally to some. Some people are just full of ideas and also confident enough to share them with their coworkers. But for others, the task requires a little more work. Often, it is up to a manager or overseer to create an environment where employees feel like they can get in a creative space and feel bold enough to share their creative ideas. Here are a few tips from us at True North Desks about how you can foster creativity in the workplace.
Let people move.
Even some of the most creative offices may still look like traditional spaces inspired by the boredom of the 1999 movie Office Space. But sitting in a cubicle under fluorescent lights is no way to get your creative juices flowing.
- Standing Desks Filling your office with stand up desks is one way to get your employees moving around. An office of standing desks feels more open and relaxed than one with walls and traditional sitting desks. A modern office makeover that includes standing desks is one way to get your team mobile. Mobility inspires collaboration which often leads to great creative ideas. If your team is already standing at a standing desk for most of the day, they will be more willing to walk around to other people’s desks in order to share ideas and collaborate. Adjustable height desks also increase your focus, which can be difficult for many creatives out there. Creativity plus more focus leads to great success.
- Walking Meetings When it is time to have a meeting with just a few people, take a walk instead of sitting down for coffee or meeting in a stuffy conference room. Getting outside in the fresh air can help clear your mind, opening it up to new ideas. Stepping away from screens is also beneficial during walking meetings. Disconnecting from technology for a time can work wonders on your creative mind.
Brainstorming sessions can often make people feel intimidated.
- Rather than conducting your run of the mill session, mix it up a little bit to make everyone feel open to participate. Start out by asking for the worst idea they can think of as a solution to your problem or the task at hand. This lets everyone be a little bit silly.
- Before you know it, everyone in the room will be participating and laughing. After a few minutes of wild answers, someone will probably have a breakthrough. An idea that really works will make its way into the mix. Now that everyone is already participating, the idea will be refined with everyone’s involvement.
It is natural to want to work with people on your team who think just like you do. There are very few arguments, and things seem to get done quickly. But over time, you may find that the creativity is lacking.
- Encourage your team members to seek out other people in the office once a week or once a month for a one on one meeting. This can be done at your standup desk with a cup of coffee and a quick get to know you chat.
- For a longer meeting, head out for lunch or a walking meeting. Or combine the two by walking to lunch together. While it may seem awkward at first, you will find that getting to know other people in your office allows you to appreciate the work they do. Talking to someone who works in a different way or even in a different department can spark some new ideas for both of you.
If you are ready to give your business a creative boost, give us a call at True North Desks to see how a standing desk can improve your office environment. We have many standing desk styles to choose from, one that is sure to fit your needs.